License Activation Advisor
Florida Specialty Structure Contractor License
A Florida Specialty StructureContractor (SCC) is a contractor whose services are limited to the execution of contracts requiring the experience, knowledge and skill necessary for the fabrication, assembling, handling, erection, installation, replacement, dismantling, adjustment, alteration, repair, servicing and design work when not prohibited by law, in accordance with accepted engineering data and/or according to manufacturers specifications in the aluminum, metal, canvas, vinyl and fiberglass screening, doors and windows, hurricane protection devices and allied construction materials.The Specialty Structure scope of such work shall include and be limited to fabric coverings on metal substructures, screened porches, screened enclosures, pool enclosures, preformed panel-post and beam roofs, manufactured housing roof-overs, vinyl or acrylic panel window enclosures,guardrails, handrails, aluminum and vinyl fences, the installation or replacement of windstorm protective devices, single story self-contained aluminum utility storage structures (not to exceed 720 sq. ft.), residential glass window and door enclosures, sunrooms, siding, soffit, fascia and gutters. The installation or replacement of window and door assemblies certified in accordance with AAMA 101/ I.S.2 or Miami Dade TAS 201. 202. 203 as specified by the Florida Building Code in Group R occupancy buildings, as defined by the Florida Building Code, up to three stories or thirty feet in height. The installation or replacement of windstorm protective devices, except for impact resistant glazing, shall be unlimited.The Specialty Structure scope of such work shall include wood work incidental to the aluminum and allied materials construction work. It shall be limited to the construction of wood framing for the walls of uninhabitable utility storage structures, raised wood decks for enclosures, and the repair and/or replacement of wood incidental to the installation of glass windows and doors, installation of siding, soffit, fascia, gutters and preformed panel-post and beam roofs. The Specialty Structure scope of such work shall include masonry concrete work and be limited to foundations, slabs and block kneewalls incidental to the aluminum and allied construction materials construction work. The Specialty Structure contractor, whose services are limited, shall not perform any work that alters the structural integrity of the building including but not limited to roof trusses, lintels, load bearing walls and foundations.
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Specialty Structure Contractor in the State of Florida:
- Age: Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Examination: Must take and pass the state certification examinations (Specialty Structure Trade Knowledge, and Business & Finance). Please note that the application process cannot be started until the exams are taken and passing scores are obtained.
- Experience / Education: A person will qualify for a Certified Specialty Structure Contractor's license by meeting one of the following requirements.
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years' experience) and one year proven experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year experience as a worker, one-year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years' experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years' experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Military Veterans
- A veteran will qualify for a certified license by meeting on of the following:
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years' experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Applicants for the Certified Specialty Structure Contractor License must demonstrate substantial experience in Residential/Commercial fabrication and/or installation, using aluminum and allied products of:
- Foundations (Concrete Slabs, CMU Kneewalls, Excavating, Lay Out, Forming, and Placing Pier-type Post Footings)
- Wall Sections (Screen Walls, Framed Solid Panel Walls, Screen and Storm Doors, Composite Metal Panel Walls)
- Roof Sections (Screen Roofs)
- Windows (Vinyl Windows, Glass Windows)
- Post and Beam Structures
- Additionally, applicants for the Certified Specialty Structure Contractor License may demonstrate substantial experience in Residential/Commercial fabrication and/or installation, using aluminum and allied products of:
- Wall Sections (Corner Cables and Ridge Bracing)
- Gutters and Downspouts
- Financial / Credit: Applicants will need to provide proof of financial stability and responsibility by submitting personal credit reports. Credit reports must include a FICO derived credit score and indicate that local, state and federal records have been searched. Credit report containing a credit score (FICO derived) on applicant from a nationally recognized credit reporting agency, which includes a public records statement that records have been checked at local, state, and federal levels. If credit score is below 660 (FICO derived) applicant must submit a bond or irrevocable letter of credit. Note that Fifty percent (50%) of the bond or letter of credit requirement may be met by completion of a 14-hour financial responsibility course.
- Fingerprints: An applicant must have a background check as part of the licensing process.
- Insurance: Applicants are required to attest that they have obtained public liability and property damage insurance in the amounts determined by Board rule. Applicants are also required to obtain worker's compensation insurance or obtain an exemption from worker's compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.
To download the Specialty Structure contractor application for initial licensure, click here.
Cam Tech School of Construction cannot confirm that your practical experience will meet the minimum requirements as set forth by the CILB. For questions regarding your experience, please contact the Department of Business and Professional Regulation's Customer Contact Center at 850-487-1395.
Florida Specialty Structure Contractor Exams
The Florida Specialty Structure Contractor Examination in Florida consists of a Business and Finance and Trade Knowledge exam. You have to pass BOTH parts of the Specialty Structure Contractors exam and meet the minimum experience requirements to activate the Specialty Structure Contractor license. Both parts of the Specialty Structure Contractor exam are administrated as computer-based exams. The total examination fee for first time licensees is $295.
Specialty Structure Trade Knowledge Exam
This 5 hour, 80 question open book examination covers topics such asFoundations, Wall and Roof Sections, Insulation, Windows, Post & Beam Structures, Roofovers, Siding, Soffits, Fascias, and Gutters and Downspouts. For detailed Specialty Structure examination content, click here.
Business and Finance Exam
This 6 hour and 30 minute, 120 question open book examination covers topics such as Establishing the Contracting Business, Managing Administrative Duties, Managing Trade Operations, Conducting Accounting Functions, Managing Human Resources, and complying with Government Regulations. For detailed Business & Finance examination content, click here.
NOTE: Prior to beginning your computer-based exams, there is a 15 minute tutorial on how to use the computer system that DOES NOT count against your allotted time. To register for your examination, click here.