License Activation Advisor
Florida Class A Air Conditioning Contractor License
A Florida Class A Air Conditioning Contractor(CAC) is a contractor whose services are unlimited in the execution of contracts requiring the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, fabricate, alter, extend, or design, if not prohibited by law, central air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and ventilating systems, including duct work in connection with a complete system if such duct work is performed by the contractor as necessary to complete an air-distribution system, boiler and unfired pressure vessel systems, and all appurtenances, apparatus, or equipment used in connection therewith, and any duct cleaning and equipment sanitizing that requires at least a partial disassembling of the system; to install, maintain, repair, fabricate, alter, extend, or design, if not prohibited by law, piping, insulation of pipes, vessels and ducts, pressure and process piping, and pneumatic control piping; to replace, disconnect, or reconnect power wiring on the load side of the dedicated existing electrical disconnect switch; to install, disconnect, and reconnect low voltage heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning control wiring; and to install a condensate drain from an air-conditioning unit to an existing safe waste or other approved disposal other than a direct connection to a sanitary system. The scope of work for Class A Air Conditioning Contractor also includes any excavation work incidental thereto, but does not include any work such as liquefied petroleum or natural gas fuel lines within buildings, except for disconnecting or reconnecting changeouts of liquefied petroleum or natural gas appliances within buildings; potable water lines or connections thereto; sanitary sewer lines; swimming pool piping and filters; or electrical power wiring. A Class A Air Conditioning Contractor may test and evaluate central air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and ventilating systems, including duct work; however, a mandatory licensing requirement is not established for the performance of these specific services.
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Class A Air Conditioning Contractor in the State of Florida::
- Age: Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Examination: Must take and pass the state certification examinations (Air Conditioning A Trade Knowledge, and Business & Finance). Please note that the application process cannot be started until the exams are taken and passing scores are obtained.
- Experience / Education: A person will qualify for a Certified Class A Air Conditioning Contractor's license by meeting one of the following requirements.
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years' experience) and one year proven experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year experience as a worker, one-year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years' experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years' experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- "Upgrade Method": A certified Class A Air Conditioning Contractor holding an active current license for a minimum of 1 year does not need to meet any other experience requirements.
- Military Veterans
- A veteran will qualify for a certified license by meeting on of the following:
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years' experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Applicants for the Certified Class A Air Conditioning Contractor License must demonstrate substantial experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of the following:
- Systems in excess of 25 tons of cooling and 500,000 BTU heating capacity (one year minimum)
- Air Conditioning Equipment
- Heating Equipment
- Refrigeration Equipment
- Sheet Metal Ductwork
- Fabrication of Sheet Metal Ductwork
- Financial / Credit: Applicants will need to provide proof of financial stability and responsibility by submitting personal credit reports. Credit reports must include a FICO derived credit score and indicate that local, state and federal records have been searched. Credit report containing a credit score (FICO derived) on applicant from a nationally recognized credit reporting agency, which includes a public records statement that records have been checked at local, state, and federal levels. If credit score is below 660 (FICO derived) applicant must submit a bond or irrevocable letter of credit. Note that Fifty percent (50%) of the bond or letter of credit requirement may be met by completion of a 14-hour financial responsibility course.
- Fingerprints: An applicant must have a background check as part of the licensing process.
- Insurance: Applicants are required to attest that they have obtained public liability and property damage insurance in the amounts determined by Board rule. Applicants are also required to obtain worker's compensation insurance or obtain an exemption from worker's compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.
To download the Class A Air Conditioning contractor application for initial licensure, click here.
Cam Tech School of Construction cannot confirm that your practical experience will meet the minimum requirements as set forth by the CILB. For questions regarding your experience, please contact the Department of Business and Professional Regulation's Customer Contact Center at 850-487-1395.
Florida Class A Air Conditioning Contractor Exams
The Florida Class A Air Conditioning Contractor Examination in Florida consists of a Business and Finance and Trade Knowledge exam. You have to pass BOTH parts of the Class A Air Conditioning Contractors exam and meet the minimum experience requirements to activate the Class A Air Conditioning Contractor license. Both parts of the Class A Air Conditioning Contractor exam are administrated as computer-based exams. The total examination fee for first time licensees is $295.
Class A Air Conditioning Trade Knowledge Exam
This 7 hour and 30 minute, 130 question open book examination covers topics such asPre-Installation, Sheet Metal Ducts, Installation and Maintenance of Refrigeration and HVAC Systems and Components, Safety, Energy Management, and Indoor Air Quality. For detailed Class A Air Conditioning examination content, click here.
Business and Finance Exam
This 6 hour and 30 minute, 120 question open book examination covers topics such as Establishing the Contracting Business, Managing Administrative Duties, Managing Trade Operations, Conducting Accounting Functions, Managing Human Resources, and complying with Government Regulations. For detailed Business & Finance examination content, click here.
NOTE: Prior to beginning your computer-based exams, there is a 15 minute tutorial on how to use the computer system that DOES NOT count against your allotted time. To register for your examination, click here.