License Activation Advisor
Florida Tower Specialty Contractor License
A Florida Tower Specialty (SCC) means a contractor whose services are limited to the construction, repair and alteration of communication or cell towers, including construction of accessory use structures not exceeding three stories in height which house communications equipment.An applicant for a Tower Specialty contractor certification shall pass the General contractor examination and shall demonstrate experience in the construction, repair and alteration of communication or cell towers and accessory use structures.
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Tower Specialty in the State of Florida:
- Age: Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Examination: Must take and pass the state certification examinations (General Contractor Contract Administration, General Contractor Project Management, and Business & Finance). Please note that the application process cannot be started until the exams are taken and passing scores are obtained.
- Experience / Education: A person will qualify for a Certified Tower Specialty Contractor's license by meeting one of the following requirements.
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years' experience) and one year proven experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year experience as a worker, one-year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years' experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years' experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Military Veterans
- A veteran will qualify for a certified license by meeting on of the following:
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years' experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Applicants for the Certified Tower Specialty Contractor License must demonstrate substantial experience in construction, fabrication and/or installation of uninhabitable towers for purposes of communications, energy, water, or utilities including:
- Tower Construction (Guyed Tower, Mono Pole Tower, Lattice/Self Supported Tower)
- Construction/Installation of Accessory Structures, Equipment Housings, Deadman Anchors, Guy Wires
- Financial / Credit: Applicants will need to provide proof of financial stability and responsibility by submitting personal credit reports. Credit reports must include a FICO derived credit score and indicate that local, state and federal records have been searched. Credit report containing a credit score (FICO derived) on applicant from a nationally recognized credit reporting agency, which includes a public records statement that records have been checked at local, state, and federal levels. If credit score is below 660 (FICO derived) applicant must submit a bond or irrevocable letter of credit. Note that Fifty percent (50%) of the bond or letter of credit requirement may be met by completion of a 14-hour financial responsibility course.
- Fingerprints: An applicant must have a background check as part of the licensing process.
- Insurance: Applicants are required to attest that they have obtained public liability and property damage insurance in the amounts determined by Board rule. Applicants are also required to obtain worker's compensation insurance or obtain an exemption from worker's compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.
To download the Tower Specialty Contractor application for initial licensure, click here.
Cam Tech School of Construction cannot confirm that your practical experience will meet the minimum requirements as set forth by the CILB. For questions regarding your experience, please contact the Department of Business and Professional Regulation's Customer Contact Center at 850-487-1395.
Florida Tower Specialty Contractor Exams
The Florida Tower Specialty Contractor Examination in Florida consists of a Business and Finance and a 2-part Trade Knowledge exam: General Contractor Contract Administration and General Contractor Project Management. You have to pass ALL parts of the Tower Specialty Contractors exam and meet the minimum experience requirements to activate the Tower Specialty Contractor license. All parts of the Tower Specialty Contractor exam are administrated as computer-based exams. The total examination fee for first time licensees is $295.
Contract Administration Exam
This 4 hour and 30 minute, 60 question open book examination covers topics such as Pre-construction Activities, Project Contracts, Obtaining Licenses, Permits and Approvals, and Construction Procedures and Operations. For detailed Contract Administration examination content, click here.
Project Management Exam
This 4 hour and 30 minute, 60 question open book examination covers topics such as Construction Methods, Materials, Tools, and Equipment; Safety, and Reading Plans and Specifications. For detailed Project Management examination content, click here.
Business and Finance Exam
This 6 hour and 30 minute, 120 question open book examination covers topics such as Establishing the Contracting Business, Managing Administrative Duties, Managing Trade Operations, Conducting Accounting Functions, Managing Human Resources, and complying with Government Regulations. For detailed Business & Finance examination content, click here.
NOTE: Prior to beginning your computer-based exams, there is a 15 minute tutorial on how to use the computer system that DOES NOT count against your allotted time. To register for your examination, click here.